LAST UPDATED: August 15, 2023. 10:00AM
Check the links below for updates.
As Vancouver Island and Western Canada see record breaking spring temperatures, forest fires and wildfires are a major threat to British Columbia’s forests. Visit the provincial government’s Wildfire Service webpage for further information on wildfire activity and prevention and fire restrictions and bans.
Please respect the fire ban in place as of June 8th, 2023, and dial *5555 on your cell to report a wildfire.
Current vancouver island travel advisories
Friday, September 1: Highway 4 is now open to two lane traffic.
Always check DriveBC.ca before your travels for the latest highway traffic and updates.
Campfires are prohibited throughout the Coastal Fire Centre. This prohibition is being enacted to help prevent human-caused wildfires and protect public safety.
The province provided an update on the wildfire and drought situation across B.C. on Tuesday, July 18 as Vancouver Island reached drought level 5, the most severe level on the scale.
Tips on water consumption:
- Keep showers to five minutes or less
- If washing dishes by hand, fill the sink rather than let the water run freely
- Instead of running the tap, keep a jug of cool water in the fridge
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving
- Only do full loads of dishes and laundry